The city of Blaine is located in Anoka County in Minnesota and is part of the Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area. The 3 main routes in the city are Interstate Highway 35W, US Highway 10 and Minnesota State Highway 65.
Blaine was previously a part of the city of Anoka up until 1877. The first settler in Blaine was Philip Lady who lived near a lake which is now named after him, Laddie Lake. However, he died shortly upon arriving and his relatives moved to Minneapolis.
It was not until 1865 that Blaine saw its first permanent resident by the name of Green Chambers, a former slave who moved from Barren County, Kentucky after the Civil War. In 1870, George Wall, Joseph Gagner and others settled and the town grew.
1877 was the year that Blaine separated itself from Anoka and established a township of its own. It was at that time that Moses Ripley the first elected chairman of the Board of Supervisors persuaded the other board members to rename the new township in honor of James Blaine, a Republican senator and Speaker of the US House of Representatives. By 1880, the population of the fledgling township grew to 128.
Blaine’s sandy soil and rich wetlands discouraged farming and made the area more a prime hunting area than anything else. Blaine’s slow development ceased after World War 2 upon the introduction of starter developments in the southern part of the city which converted it to a more suburban area than rural.
The population grew from 1,694 in 1950 to 20,573 in 1970 to over 57,000 in 2010. For several years Blaine led the Twin Cities metro region in new home construction. The development of the city is attributed to the creation of Interstate Highway 35, US Highway 10 and Minnesota Highway 64 which increased access to the Twin Cities making it a prime location for residential and business development. Moreover, the opening of sand mines created thousands of acres of peat sod farms up for development.