The origin of the name Chanhassen is from the Dakota, which means “sugar maple tree.” The earliest settlers of the town arrived in the 1850s to look at farms. The first claim that was settled happened in 1852 where a German by the name of Joseph Vogel, for the area west of Rice Lake near the Shakopee station. When the deal with the Native American Indians ended in 1853, more settlers came to live in the small settlement. The first town meeting was held on the 17th of May 1858 and after the Civil War ended, the Rev. Magnus Mayr officially a parish for German Catholics. The establishment of the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad brought more settlers and incorporation into the Village of Chanhassen happened in 1896.
History of Chanhassen, MinnesotaZackFLS2017-08-23T06:56:11+00:00