Located on the western side of Lake Superior, the area was originally settled by Chippewa and Sioux Indians. At the time only French fur traders and explorers were able to see the actual site of Duluth. By 1856, with many settlers already and a burgeoning fur trade, Duluth was platted and incorporation into a city occurred in 1878. After the civil war, the town prospered due to the establishment of the Great Northern Railroad. When iron ore was discovered in the Mesabi Range, it became the city’s top selling product. The city got its name in honor of Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Lhut, a French adventurer.
History of Duluth, MinnesotaZackFLS2017-08-23T07:12:57+00:00